The original voice cast from X-Men: The Animated Series reunited via video last month for the first time since they were making the iconic show from the 1990s.
The reunion was both a celebration and a time for remembrance. The series premiered almost 30 years, Oct. 31, 1992. But the cast also wanted to remember actor Norm Spencer, who voiced Cyclops. Spencer died on August 31, 2020. Those participating in the panel were: Alison Sealy-Smith (Storm), Cal Dodd (Wolverine), Chris Britton (Mr. Sinister), Chris Potter (Gambit), George Buza (Beast), Lenore Zann (Rogue), and Ron Rubin (Morph) as well as producer/artist/director Larry Houston and moderator Chandler Poling.
X-Men: The Animated Series cast members will come together again on Saturday, November 7, for a live video panel during Wizard World where they will also answer fan questions. Learn more about the upcoming panel here: https://wizardworldvault.com/collections/x-men-the-animated-series-november-7-14/x-men
Watch the cast reunion from last month below and check out timecodes for some of the best moments too.
- 1:55 – Were they aware their performance would impact people 30 years later
- 6:35 – Chris Potter on his love of Gambit and feeling insecure at the beginning
- 8:35 – Alison Seely-Smith on her thoughts on playing Storm
- 21:28 – George Buza on identifying as Beast, and his experience being bullied growing up in the 50s.
- 24:53 – 1st audio excerpt of Norm Spencer (from the podcast “Who Did That Voice?”) talking about landing the role of Cyclops
- 30:00 – 2nd audio excerpt of Norm talking about his castmates which elicits a lot of laughs from the cast.
- 31:15 – Lenore Zann on being caught on the Jumbotron with Norm Spencer
- 37:25 – Chris Potter saying when he thinks of the X-Men, he thinks of Norm
- 44:45 – Lenore Zann on how she was asked for her autograph on set while guest-starring on Law & Order
- 50:45 – Alison Seely-Smith announces she will re-join the cast in person at their next convention – her first eventual appearance as Storm.
- 52:11 – Chris Britton on wearing a Mister Sinister Mask in the pandemic
- 56:05 – Cal Dodd on meeting an autistic fan and his daughter – and the impact Cal’s made on the fan’s life.
- 58:47 – Alison Seely-Smith on the importance of black superheroes being performed by black actors
- 1:00:13 – Larry Houston on Storm being an iconic black superhero, how he was the first person to bring Black Panther to animation, and his experience with fans wishing Alison Seely-Smith would make public appearances so they can meet her.
- 1:08:21 – The cast gives their thoughts and love to Norm Spencer in a very emotional send-off.
- Doctor Who New Year’s Special: Revolution Of The Daleks - January 4, 2021
- X-Men: The Animated Series Cast Reunite To Remember Actor Norm Spencer (Cyclops) - October 28, 2020
- Comedy Central May Have Canceled Drunk History But Host Derek Waters Hopes Season 7’s Episodes Aren’t Lost Forever - September 2, 2020