It’s impossible to not love Dwayne Johnson. He’s got big muscles, an even bigger smile, and he stars in the best Fast & Furious brand film ever. Hobbs & Shaw surpasses all expectations as it takes Johnson and Jason Statham and fleshes out their characters and their chemistry against the backdrop of amazing action and stunning effects. Hobbs & Shaw is available now on Digital and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, and On Demand on November 5, 2019.
Luke Hobbs (Johnson) and Deckard Shaw (Statham) form a rocky partnership to take down Brixton Lorr (Idris Elba), a cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist. Brixton is on the hunt for a bio-weapon that threatens all of humanity and Deckard’s sister, Hattie (Vanessa Kirby) is the one who has it. A badass in her own right, Hattie teams up with Hobbs and her brother to save the world… and keep the two men from killing each other.
Full of fresh humor, fantastic action, and a few over-the-top sequences, Hobbs & Shaw is easily the most fun I’ve ever had watching a Fast & Furious film. That’s probably because this rarely felt like the other films in that franchise. Johnson, Statham, Elba, and Kirby are such incredible actors that they make the most out of every smirk, sharp one-liner, and fight scene.
Johnson’s fingerprints are obvious in the focus on Hobbs’ background, the essential inclusion of the character’s family in the climax, and the promotion of Samoa and its culture. But Statham isn’t left behind either. Fast & Furious films have always prided themselves on putting family at the center and so having Kirby join as Shaw’s sister as well as the few short scenes with their mother, Queenie (Helen Mirren), was perfect. I can only hope Kirby and Mirren will be back again, perhaps for a movie all about the Shaws? We did already get a few glimpses at the siblings pulling cons even as kids.
Director David Leitch took the screenplay by Chris Morgan and Drew Pearce and made something enjoyable, memorable, and new. This isn’t the same old fast cars racing and chasing each other. Hobbs & Shaw legitimizes Fast & Furious in a way I’m not sure anyone was expecting. Elba shines as a great bad guy with a hell of a punch. Johnson and Statham’s chemistry is palpable in every scene they share while Kirby surprises by carving out her own unique fighting style and relationship with each of the men. There are also a couple of really fun cameos from Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, and Kevin Hart. Everything Hobbs & Shaw presents is something to love and want more of.
The bonus features on the Blu-ray Combo Pack confirmed the passion, effort, and skill that went into making this blockbuster action film. In a featurette called “Practical Action”, the stunt team and actors show how they blended practical effects with VFX. The four leads went all out to train and perform as many scenes themselves as they could and the finished product definitely shows. Each character also has their own short featurette and in Kirby’s (“The Sister”) we learn that she’s never done an action role before! She absolutely crushed the role of Hattie.
A few of the bonus features also highlight the familial ties essential to Hobbs & Shaw. After years of knowing and working together. Johnson and Statham have developed a fantastic rapport. In “Johnson & Statham: Hobbs & Shaw”, they discuss their shared commitment to creating the best possible product for audiences. There’s also a great peek behind the scenes of those cameos from Reynolds and Hart in “New Friends”. Johnson goes in depth about his desire to bring his Samoan heritage into the film in “Keeping it in the Family: A Conversation with Roman and Dwayne.” Here, Johnson and Roman Reigns talk about their own relationship and what it means to showcase Samoa in a big budget Hollywood film. Check out the full list of bonus features below.
With over 80 minutes of never-before-seen bonus content that compliments an entertaining, enjoyable, and action-packed film, Hobbs & Shaw is made to be part of anyone’s movie collection. Hobbs & Shaw is available on Digital now and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, and On Demand on November 5, 2019.
- Alternate Opening
- Deleted/Extended/Alternate Scenes
- Johnson & Statham: Hobbs & Shaw – Why this film duo works so well together on and off the set.
- Progress of a Fight Scene with Director David Leitch – From script, to storyboard, to finally arriving on set and working with cast and crew, this piece will illustrate the progression of fight scenes from concept to execution.
- Practical Action – Any film featuring Jason Statham or Dwayne Johnson is sure to be action-packed and feature some over-the-top fight scenes. For the film, each fight sequence was carefully choreographed and shot ahead of time for the actors to use in training and ultimately in shooting the scene.
- The Bad Guy* – Fans can explore what makes the ultimate baddie, as well as Brixton’s backstory, casting Idris Elba, special effects for his cyber features and what makes him tick.
- The Sister* – This piece will highlight Vanessa Kirby as Hattie Shaw – she may be Deckard Shaw’s little sister, but don’t be fooled, she’s equally capable of kicking just as much ass as he does.
- Hobbs’ Family Tree* – This character piece will highlight the extended family of the Hobbs heroes. From Hobbs’ daughter, mother and brothers, take a high-energy, behind-the-scenes look at their time on set.
- The Matriarch* – With her brief appearance in HOBBS & SHAW, audiences are reminded of the matriarchal might of Helen Mirren as mother Shaw. This piece will feature Mirren in her return to the role.
- New Friends – Featuring hilarious moments with the cameos featured in the film, this piece will showcase some of the best moments from their days on set.
- Elevator Action* – The elevator scene in the trailer – yes, you know the one. This is just one of the crazy stunts in the film – now fans can see how it was done.
- Stunt Show and Tell* – Along with film clips and stunt vis, this firsthand look at some of the key sequences in the film will peel back the layers of the stunt process.
- Keeping it in the Family: A Conversation with Dwyane and Roman* – In this intimate conversation, Roman Reigns and Dwayne Johnson discuss their personal relationship, coming from a long lineage of wrestlers, and what it’s like to be working side by side on a project so close to Johnson’s heart.
- Blind Fury* – Dwayne reveals the inspiration behind one of the film’s key scenes – his grandfather!
- Dwayne and Hobbs: Love at First Bite* – We know how important family is to Dwayne Johnson, and his French Bulldog Hobbs is no exception. In this fun piece, fans can learn more about Dwayne and man’s best friend.
- Feature Commentary with Director David Leitch
*Digital, 4K Ultra HD & Blu-ray
- SDCC@Home: Cartoon Network Premieres Trailer For Ben 10 vs. The Universe: The Movie And Several Exclusive Clips - July 30, 2020
- SDCC@Home: Rooster Teeth Reveals New Details Of Animated Series Including Red vs. Blue: Zero And RWBY Volume 8 - July 30, 2020
- Another Enemy From The Past Returns In Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s “Stolen” - July 30, 2020