During their Hall H panel at San Diego Comic Con, the team behind Batman Beyond announced the landmark animated television series will be released on Blu-ray for the first time. Batman Beyond: The Complete Animated Series Limited Edition arrives on Digital on October 15 and in a box set on October 29.
The box set not only features remastered versions of Batman Beyond’s episodes but also includes 15 featurettes. Highlighted among the bonus features are two new inside looks at the beloved television series, led by Nostalgic Tomorrow: a gathering of Batman Beyond production talent, and a gathering of the cast led by executive producer Bruce Timm and actors Kevin Conroy (Batman) and Will Friedle (Terry McGinnis). The bonus discs also spotlight four episodes with audio commentary from Timm and select members of the production team.
Collectibles within the stunning packaging include an exclusive chrome Batman Beyond Funko POP, and four beautifully-designed lenticular art cards produced especially for Batman Beyond: The Complete Animated Series Limited Edition. This ultimate collectors Blu-ray box set will be individually numbered for a Limited Edition release of 50,000.
Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Batman Beyond premiered on January 10, 1999 to instant ratings and critical success. The series ran for three seasons, covering 52 total episodes and a full-length animated film, Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker. Nominated for nine Emmy Awards, Batman Beyond took home two Emmys – including Outstanding Special Class Animated Program in 2001 – as well as three Annie Awards.
Batman Beyond was headed by the producing quartet of Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Glen Murakami, alongside executive producer Jean MacCurdy and associate producer Shaun McLaughlin. The cast was led by Conroy, the fan-favorite voice of Batman from the landmark Batman: The Animated Series, with Friedle playing McGinnis, Batman’s protégé. Other members of the voice cast included Cree Sumner, Lauren Tom, Paul Winfield, Stockard Channing, Wayne Brady, Seth Green, Tim Curry, Patton Oswalt, and many more. Five members of the Hollywood Walk of Fame were also guest voice actors: William H. Macy, John Ritter, George Takei, Michael Ansara, and Mark Hamill.
“Batman Beyond elevated the animated adventures of The Dark Knight to even greater heights, providing an edgier, faster-moving, more contemporary take on crime-fighting in Gotham with an inspiring new character in Terry McGinnis,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Vice President, Family, & Animation Marketing. “Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has long known the fans’ desire to see this series come to Blu-ray, and we’re excited to finally have the technology to elevate the quality of the original assets to an exquisite high-definition presentation packaged with compelling collectibles in a limited edition set, especially as fans celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary this year.”
For those interested in the specs of the new Blu-ray edition, this next part is for you. A total of 41 of the 52 episodes have been fully-remastered from either their original 35mm film source or the uncommon format “OCND,” the original camera negative digital (a digital scan of original negative). Lines and resolution have been enhanced, and dust and dirt have been removed – however, cell dirt remains to not disturb the original picture. Included in the remastering was the removal of grain, resulting in enhanced colors. The remastering process does cause a slight aspect ratio change (approximately 3% loss of screen image).
Due to time-worn irreparable damage, the remaining 11 episodes were “Smart Rezzed” from standard definition Digibeta video. The process provides for significant enhanced resolution and improvement of the original source material in converting from standard to high definition, though it does sacrifice horizontal lines for clearer image and color representation. While still a marked improvement over the original video, viewers will notice a slight difference between the Remastered and the Up-Rezzed final footage. The 11 affected episodes are: “Eyewitness,” “Final Cut,” “The Last Resort,” “Armory,” “Sneak Peek,” “The Eggbaby,” “Zeta,” “Plague,” “April Moon,” “Sentries of the Lost Cosmos” and “Speak No Evil.”
Batman Beyond: The Complete Animated Series Limited Edition is available on October 15 on Digital and October 29 in a boxset. Pre-orders are now available. Check out the full list of content included in the Limited Edition below.
Batman Beyond: The Complete Animated Series Limited Edition Enhanced Content
Nostalgic Tomorrow – A Batman Gathering (All-New Featurette) – Many of Batman Beyond’s core production team and actors gather for an enthralling roundtable discussion of the evolution and execution of the animated series. Join producers Bruce Timm and Glenn Murakami, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano, director James Tucker, writers Bob Goodman & Stan Berkowitz, and stars Kevin Conroy & Will Friedle as they take a wildly entertaining trip down memory lane.
Knight Immortal (All-New Featurette) – A visual and visceral celebration of the Dark Knight’s 80 years of crime-fighting, narrated by storytellers of the past, present, and future.
“Tomorrow Knight: The Batman Reborn” (Featurette) – Storytellers explore the rise of Terry McGinnis as Batman and Bruce Wayne’s relationship with the young hero as he mentors a new Dark Knight for modern times.
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (Feature-Length Film) – The beloved hit animated film from 2000 is included in the box set – fully remastered for your enjoyment.
Audio Commentaries – Enlightening audio commentaries by filmmakers and voice actors for four key episodes: “Rebirth, Part 1”; “Shriek”; “Splicers”; and “The Eggbaby.”
Featurettes – A dozen inside looks at the genesis, production and effects of Batman Beyond.
Episodes: Rebirth, Pt. 1; Rebirth, Pt. 2; Black Out; Golem; Meltdown; Heroes; Shriek; Dead Man’s Hand; The Winning Edge; Spellbound; Disappearing Inque; A Touch of Curare; Ascension
- Commentary on the episode “Rebirth, Part 1” by producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini & Glenn Murakami, and director Curt Geda.
- Audio Commentary on episode “Shriek” by producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini & Glen Murakami, director Curt Geda and writer Stan Berkowitz
- “Music of the Knight” – producer Bruce Timm introduces a feature allowing access to key scenes from Batman Beyond, accompanied by the compelling score created for the series.
- “Inside Batman Beyond – Meet the Creators” – producers Alan Burnett, Bruce Timm, Glen Murakami, and Paul Dini discuss the creative process behind Batman Beyond and its inaugural season. Jason Hillhouse moderates.
- Batman 80th Anniversary Collection trailer
Episodes: Splicers; Earth Mover; Joyride; Lost Soul; Hidden Agenda; Bloodsport; Once Burned; Hooked Up; Rats!; Mind Games; Revenant; Babel; Terry’s Friend Dates a Robot
- Commentary on the episode “Splicers” by producers Bruce Timm and Glen Murakami, storyboard artist James Tucker, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano and Will Friedle, the voice of Terry McGinnis/Batman
Episodes: Eyewitness*; Final Cut*; The Last Resort*; Armory*; Sneak Peek*; The Eggbaby*; Zeta*; Plague*; April Moon*; Sentries of the Last Cosmos*; Payback; Where’s Terry?; Ace in the Hole
- Commentary on the episode “The Eggbaby” by producers Bruce Timm & Glen Murakami, director James Tucker, Producer Glen Murakami, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano, and Will Friedle, the voice of Terry McGinnis/Batman
- “Inside Batman Beyond: The Panel” – An in-depth discussion with producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Glen Murakami, and Paul Dini as season two of Batman Beyond is explored with moderator Jason Hillhouse.
Episodes: King’s Ransom; Untouchable; Inqueling; Big Time; Out of the Past; Speak No Evil*; The Call, Pt. 1; The Call, Pt. 2; Betrayal; Curse of the Kobra, Pt. 1; Curse of the Kobra, Pt. 2; Countdown; Unmasked
- “Inside Batman Beyond: Season 3” – A fascinating discussion on season three of Batman Beyond with producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Glen Murakami and Paul Dini.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: Close-Up On...” – producers Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, directors Butch Lukic and James Tucker, and voice actor Will Friedle discuss their favorite moments among final-season episodes.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: Out of the Past” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director James Tucker and voice actor Will Friedle sit down together to talk about “The Legend of Batman” musical (which appears in this episode) and other memorable moments.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: The Call, Part 1” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director Butch Lukic and voice actor Will Friedle gather to discuss the additional heroes and the exciting action showcased in this episode.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: The Call, Part 2” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director Butch Lukic and voice actor Will Friedle talk about the appearance of Starro and Superman in this episode.
- “Inside Batman Beyond Season 3: Curse of the Kobra, Part 1” – producers Bruce Timm & Paul Dini, director James Tucker and voice actor Will Friedle reminisce about the personal relationships that highlight the story of this episode.
- “Nostalgic Tomorrow – A Batman Gathering” (All-New Featurette) – Nostalgia strikes like it’s 1999. Seated at the table are the Batman Beyond Team: producers Bruce Timm & Glen Murakami, actors Kevin Conroy & Will Friedle, director James Tucker, casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano, and writers Bob Goodman & Stan Berkowitz. Care to join us for a chat?
- “Knight Immortal” (All-New Featurette) – A visual and visceral celebration of the Dark Knight’s 80 years of crime fighting, narrated by storytellers of the past, present, and future.
- “Tomorrow Knight: The Batman Reborn” (All-New Featurette) – Storytellers explore the rise of Terry McGinnis as Batman and Bruce Wayne’s relationship with the young hero as he mentors a new Dark Knight for modern times.
- “Gotham: City of The Future” – A Close-Up Look at Gotham City Circa 2039, the modernization and the inspirations for its high-tech design and massive scale.
- “The High-Tech Hero” – Batman Beyond storytellers discuss the evolution of the new Bat Suit and its futuristic design and capabilities.
- “Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics” (Documentary) – The Story of DC Comics and the rise of the Super Hero mythology as a zeitgeist in American pop culture.
- “Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker” – Remastered for Blu-ray, the heralded animated feature film spawned by the Batman Beyond series is included on a separate bonus disc in the box set.
*=Due to source material, episode resolution was enhanced (up-rez) instead of remastering.
- Cast Member Sydney James Harcourt Says The Movie Is “The Definitive Way To Experience Hamilton”, Calls Out Lilli Cooper To Be First Actress To Play Hamilton - July 3, 2020
- Coulson Reveals His Superpower And Simmons Spills Her Secret In Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s “Adapt Or Die” - July 2, 2020
- Amazon Prime’s The Boys Kicks Off Season 2 With Three New Episodes On September 4 - June 29, 2020