Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is adding more talent to its cast as it pulls some recent alums from Criminal Minds and Shadowhunters.
Showtime announced this week that the upcoming “sequel” of sorts as it is considered a “spiritual descendant” of the original horror-drama that six new actors have joined the cast. Among those cast is Adam Rodriguez, who will be wrapping up his time on Criminal Minds as it is slated to end with its next season.
As for who Rodriguez will be playing, the actor will be recurring as the brother of the show’s lead Daniel Zovatto. The series, which is set in 1938 in Los Angeles, follows the story of Detective Tiago Vega who finds himself entangled in quite the story as he tries to solve a grisly murder that has shocked the city. Rodriguez will play Raul Vega, the eldest son of the Vega family who is also a righteous union leader and advocate for his people along with trying to be a father figure to his younger brother.
Showtime also revealed the five actors joining Rodriguez, which includes Shadowhunters alum Dominic Sherwood, and some character descriptions as well, which you can read below:
- Michael Gladis (Mad Men) as Councilman Charlton Townsend, the ambitious head of the L.A. City Council’s Transportation Committee, described as “a man of killer instincts and ruthless political wiles.”
- Lorenza Izzo (Feed the Beast) as Santa Muerte, the Angel of Holy Death and sister of the charismatic demoness Magda (played by Game of Thrones‘ Natalie Dormer).
- Thomas Kretschmann (Dracula) as Richard Goss, an aristocratic and mysterious German architect with grand plans for the future of Los Angeles — and unsettling connections to City Hall.
- Dominic Sherwood (Shadowhunters) as Kurt, the chauffeur and bodyguard for Richard Goss, who also possesses an unexpected depth and surprising background.
- Ethan Peck (Star Trek: Discovery) as Herman Ackermann, the charismatic second-in-command at the German American Bund, whose aggressive politics, heated rhetoric and personal magnetism inevitably create tension within the group.
Based on this cast list alone, things are definitely going to get very interesting very quickly on this upcoming sequel. It’s already shaping up to have a unique feel and tone which will set it apart from the original series.
Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is set to start production this year.
- American Gods’ Behind-The-Scenes Controversy Gets Worse: Orlando Jones Reveals Ricky Whittle’s POV On His Firing Via Social Media - March 2, 2020
- Billie Eilish Wins Big At The 2020 Grammy Awards: Lizzo And Lil Nas X Amongst Winners - January 27, 2020
- The 2020 Oscar Nominations Are Out: Joker, The Irishman, And Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Lead The Nods - January 13, 2020