Hello DC TV fans! Welcome back to another week of 4 Your Excitement‘s The DC TV Mix.
Every week, we discuss the highs and lows of the CW line-up of DC TV shows: Arrow, Black Lightning, The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends Of Tomorrow. So if you’re a fan of all five of these shows, then definitely give us a listen.
For the next coming weeks, however, we are changing up the format as time constraints at the moment don’t give us much room to record so we are going to discuss our thoughts in a roundtable post until the end of May, where we’ll return to our regular format.
The DC TV Mix is presented by Editor-In-Chief Erika Rivera and Senior Editor (plus The Flash, Black Lightning, and Supergirl recapper) Bec Heim.
Be sure to also check out our recaps, which you can find here.
Without further ado, here’s our breakdown of the week!
- Emmy: David Ramsey is the real MVP for Arrow for my choice. Ramsey’s portrayal of Diggle is a class act on how to be the backbone of the show. While there is no argument that Emily Bett Rickards is the heart of the show, Ramsey is the show’s soul, and it shows with every performance.
- Bec: Melissa Benoist, Jesse Rath, and Chyler Leigh. Listen Supergirl has a cast that gives consistently amazing performances. All three of them rocked “Red Dawn”. Benoist had to act against herself, give two distinct performances, and nailed it without missing a beat. Rath gave one of the most chilling speeches of his Brainy performance during the breakdown and then going full Brainiac. It was just…wow. Leigh broke all our hearts when her memories of her sister were restored.
- The Flash:
- Bec: You know what? I’ll give it to Hartley Sawyer. It’s amazing how much Ralph just does not bug me this season. Sawyer has gotten to do a lot of comedy and just being a generally chill kind of guy. Like a goof, but chill. I feel like he kicks major ass in this episode as he focuses on and figures out Thawne’s plan.
- Emmy: Jessica Parker Kennedy has grown on me as Nora on The Flash. I think she has finally hit her stride in her performance and has definitely grown in her role. Her scenes with both Candice and Grant are just on point as always.
- Legends of Tomorrow:
- Bec: Matt Ryan, y’all. Matt freaking Ryan. He had to give two separate performances, nailed them both. He also did one of his best performances as John Constantine as he talks with the pooka over how he keeps screwing over the people close to him. It shows, via the pooka, that John’s natural inclination is to be kind. John Constantine could never be called a good man, but he is a great one. And Ryan just instinctually gets that. (Also Brandon Routh as Neron is killing it.)
- Emmy: Damn, Bec took mine but I have to agree. Matt Ryan slayed his ass off this go-round as Constantine. He was born to play John Constantine no doubt but he is just an absolute delight to watch as he perfect nails all of the nuances that make John Constantine just a fantastic character.
- Bec: It’s honestly a tie for me this week. Legends of Tomorrow “Nip/Stuck” had a great Constantine story, a Time Bureau story that didn’t feel shoehorned in, and some excellent team-bonding. It had a great ending with Constantine sacrificing himself to go save Ray from Hell. I need Cards to Save the Timeline in my life. Supergirl’s “Red Dawn” is just another great episode in, possibly, the strongest season of the show. I’ll even call it one of the best penultimate episodes in the series. It hit great character beats, wrapped up a plot thread that didn’t really do anything, and had some amazing performances. Both shows did excellently.
- Emmy: Legends picks up the win for me this week as between John going to hell for Ray and the Time Bureau bit that was in it, I was glued to my screen eagerly waiting to see what was going to go down.
- Bec: Alex getting her memories back and her begging her nearly dead sister to wake up on Supergirl. Between that and Kara literally absorbing the sunlight out of the plants around her? It was like a freaking Disney movie. Like damn, I got teary-eyed and cheered. It was sentimental and a little corny, which is the show at its best. Also John willingly going to Hell to save Ray. Oh Johnny. (Wolfie ripping off Gary’s Hell Nipple was A+ because that thing was disturbing af.)
- Emmy: Constantine making the sacrifice was such a hero movie that it’s definitely the top moment for me as I wasn’t expecting that to happen at all.
- Bec: THE NIPPLE EYE! JESUS CHRIST! Can we PLEASE let Gary’s Hell Nipple rot in Hell now? Please? Please? I can’t keep watching this. It’s gross!
- Emmy: I’m so over the nipple thing honestly on Legends. Also, Emiko on Arrow, is she going to die anytime soon cos I’m also over her as a character. Her reasons for doing all the crazy crap she does makes no sense to me whatsoever.
- 4 Your Consideration: The Most Entertaining Blackjack Movies Ever Made - February 24, 2021
- 4YE’s Mission Complete: WandaVision’s “Breaking The Wall” Finally Gives Us Some Answers - February 23, 2021
- 4YE’s Mission Complete: WandaVision’s Episodes 5 And 6 Leave Us Even More Confused - February 22, 2021