Christmas time is such a magical time, and for many of us, our favorite time of the year because we can watch those feel good holiday flicks.
Let’s be honest though, most of us watch them all year long (raise your hand if you do).
There are so many films to choose from that making a list of your top three favorite films can be tricky. After all, some of us like our rom-coms more than our animated films and so on and so forth.
For this year’s Holiday piece, our staff is sharing which holiday movies are their favorites.
Without further ado, here are some of 4YE’s favorite holiday flicks!
- Love Actually: Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, and Emma Thompson all in one film. Yes please! This movie manages to make me laugh, cry, curse and dance all at once and really does remind me that love is all around us.
- The Holiday: Confession: I saw this film several years after its release and with it turning 10 years old this year, I truly can say it’s the one that I find something new to love in it with every viewing. Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, and Jack Black are an unbeatable foursome.
- The Family Stone: I find myself relating the most to this film as who doesn’t have a dysfunctional family of sorts around the holidays? Plus, Diane Keaton is a gem and absolutely manages to make cry and laugh at the same time.
- Love Actually
- The Santa Clause
- The Holiday
- I don’t celebrate the holidays but is it really Christmas for you guys if Judy Garland isn’t singing “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” from Meet Me in St. Louis?
- There’s only one movie on my Holiday list this year, and that is The Christmas Prince, on repeat. I have seldomly laughed harder and made fun of a movie more. It is pure joy. I love you, Rose McIver, but what were you thinking?
- And maybe, if there’s time: Carol
- I hate to tell you that you’re all wrong. Actually, I don’t. You’re all wrong. Those movies are fine, but White Christmas is the best holiday movie of all time. Ever.
- It’s not Christmas until I’ve watched Love Actually. THE most perfect Christmas movie of all time. The right amount of cheese, the right amount of sap, the right amount of angst and a cast that just blows you away. Seriously anything with Emma Thompson, Colin Firth and Alan Rickman… that can’t be overlooked.
- The Holiday… mainly because I just want to be Kate Winslet in this movie. Can a holiday get any better than what she has in LA? Well I guess minus the shitty pseudo-ex constantly annoying her, but apart from that it’s the perfect escape.
- The Family Stone – while this movie hits way too close to home, especially the year it was released when my sister and I saw it at the movies and cried all through the movie then the whole car trip home, it is that connection we have to it that somehow makes it a Christmas movie that has become a staple in our family.
- Carol: I really just have two words:1950’s lesbians.
- Scrooge: This version of A Christmas Carol doesn’t get much love, but it holds a special place in my heart. It’s one of my mom’s favorite Christmas movies and we watch it together every year. Nothing quite puts you in the Christmas spirit like watching Albert Finney as Ebenezer Scrooge sing about how much he hates people as he walks through the streets of London.
- The Santa Clause (1 and 2): The Santa Clause came out when I was really little, so it’s always been a Christmas movie I watched with my family. It’s just a fun story, who doesn’t want to believe in magic like that? When the second one came out, it was hard not to love it just because of Elizabeth Mitchell (I really should have figured out the gay thing sooner).
- Love Actually: I really enjoy it when small storylines in a movie are all intertwined, and you really cannot go wrong with that cast.