Happy Thanksgiving! There are so many wonderful pop culture-y things to be thankful for but I managed to narrow it down to 5. So in no particular order, I am thankful for:
1. The awesome female characters on TV right now. I’m especially thankful that this year we got three female led Marvel/DC shows, Agent Carter, Jessica Jones, and Supergirl.
2. Twitter, Tumblr, fan conventions, basically anything that provides a place to fangirl and/or interact with the people who gave me my favorite shows and characters.
3. Netflix! Not only because I can binge to my heart’s desire, but for original series like Orange is the New Black, Sense8, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Master of None.
4. Fanfiction. I love fanfiction, I love reading it and I love writing it; I love that it’s a way for fans to do something showrunners can’t/won’t. There’s just something great about being able to take your favorite characters and play a huge game of “What if?”
5. For showrunners, writers, and actors who are supportive of their LGBT fans, for those who aren’t afraid to talk about a non-canon ship, for those who acknowledge what LGBT people go through, and for those who give us LGBT characters without some sort of fanfare. Also for LGBT characters that get a story that consists of more than a trope-filled Sweeps Week storyline.
Comment below and let me know what pop culture things you’re thankful for! Have a good Thanksgiving!