Halloween is officially over for this year, and it’s been more than ten years since our favourite childhood Halloween movie, but could there be a sequel in the pipeline for Disney’s ‘Hocus Pocus’? The end of the first film certainly left the prospect open.
There has been confusion that perhaps Tina Fey was producing a Hocus Pocus 2. Fey has now made clear that even though she is indeed working on a witch movie for Disney, it sadly isn’t to do with Hocus Pocus. But fear not, as speculation over which film Fey was working on caused hype about whether or not a Hocus Pocus 2 could be possible, and Bette Midler who played lead witch Winifred Sanderson has expressed some positive interest, along with co-stars Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy.
When asked about the possible reprisal of her role during a recent Reddit AMA, Midler replied: “Inundate the Disney company. Because I have canvassed the girls and they are willing to do it, but we have no say in it, so if you want a Hocus Pocus 2, ask the Walt Disney company.”
As much as it is fondly thought after now, when Hocus Pocus first hit box offices, it made less than $40 million which, for a film that was not small-budget, definitely wasn’t a success. The film has possibly grown in popularity over the years. There is a chance that Disney may be skeptical to consider a sequel in case it flops in sales the same way. It is also a wonder as to, if they were to make a second film, why wouldn’t they have done it already? Considering Hocus Pocus was released in 1993.
Less of the negatives, here are the many reasons why, even after 14 years, we still need a reunion of the Sanderson sisters!
- In the first film we got to see Bette Midler perform ‘I Put A Spell On You’ and we’re dying (excuse the pun) to see what Winifred will sing for us next.
- Thora Birch who played Dani is now all grown up. Could we perhaps see Dani’s children discover the Sanderson sisters?
- We miss zombie Billy and hope that maybe he will leave his grave for us one more time.
- Could Sarah Jessica Parker bring a bit of Carrie Bradshaw to the role of Sarah?
- And does Ice still have his name shaved into the back of his head?
It is very exciting to think about the possibility of a new film, and to remember why we love the first one so much. Leave us a comment with your thoughts, or let us know your favourite bits from Hocus Pocus.
- The Wait Is Over: RuPaul’s Season 8 Queens Have Finally Been Revealed - February 2, 2016
- Start Your Engines Drag Racers, RuPaul’s Queens Are Coming To A City Near You - February 1, 2016
- Stage Review: 4YE Jumped On The Priscilla Bus And Had A Great Time! - November 10, 2015