Between the turkey, dressing, and cranberry sauce, not to mention the pecan pie, I want to take a moment of thanks for all things pop culture and for my friends here at 4YE who give us all an outlet of excitement for all those things. We are all just fangirls and fanboys at heart and sharing it with readers who love it like we do makes it even more fun!
Since I can’t list every single thing in pop culture I love, I’m going to try to narrow it to a top 10.
1. Supernatural I cannot stress enough how much I love this show. If it keeps airing for another 10 years, I’ll still be watching. Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles as the Winchester brothers keep me coming back each week and I will never not love them. Ever.
2. Joss Whedon If you need a list of reasons, you can see my 3 part piece of why Joss is a BAMF here on our site. But just a short list; Firefly, Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Much Ado About Nothing, Cabin in the Woods, and The Avengers. Not to mention he’s just an all around awesome guy, his twitter is hilarity in motion, and he’s one of the biggest fanboys ever.
3. The Hobbit Trilogy I read the book growing up, and I watched that Hobbit cartoon more times that one person should. The movie adaptation thus far has not disappointed and I cannot wait to see the final installment. Martin Freeman as Bilbo makes my heart sing and I don’t know if I’ve ever loved dwarfs as much as I do watching this. Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield…mmmm. And I’ll stop there before this post takes a wrong turn.
4. Tabletop I’ve had a love affair with Wil Wheaton since Stand By Me and I’m thrilled it can continue on. Felicia Day’s Geek & Sundry is chock full of goodness but my favorite show by far is Tabletop. I have always loved playing tabletop games, so getting to see one of my favorites play different games with his friends and family is not only super entertaining but informative too. Nothing like watching other people play a game to know if you’d want to play it yourself. I wonder just how many thousands of Settlers of Catan games have been sold thanks to Wil Wheaton and Tabletop?!
5. Marvel I’m pretty sure almost everyone will have this on their list, but it’s not really surprising. Marvel has brought us so much amazing stuff as of late, it’s hard not to sing their praises. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and I think it goes without saying that I love the Avengers. But beyond that, the legacy that Stan Lee has built for Marvel is nothing short of miraculous. The stories and characters that he along with Jack Kirby and others dreamed up are still giving us miles of goodness now and it’s not likely to stop anytime soon. Also, big HUGE shoutout to Disney’s newest piece of genius, Big Hero 6, a take on the Marvel comic creation. If you haven’t seen it already, drop what you’re doing and GO. You won’t be disappointed.
6. Firefly I know I’ve already given my ode to Joss Whedon (again), but Firefly will always get its own spot. I know it’s only one season. But I’ve watched that one season more than probably any other show ever. That includes Supernatural, so that should tell you something. Firefly will always have a special place in my heart and my life. “I don’t care, I’m still free. You can’t take the sky from me.”
7. The BBC There’s a whole post coming soon about all the reasons I love the BBC, but for now I’ll try to make it brief. Doctor Who, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Broadchurch, Call the Midwife, Orphan Black, The Graham Norton Show…I could go on, but I said I’d be brief. If you aren’t watching BBC programming, you are missing out on some of the best television you’ll ever watch.
8. The Newsroom Look, basically everything Aaron Sorkin touches is genius. This show is no different. It’s fast paced, witty, intelligent, funny, snarky, informative, and thought-provoking. I don’t know who he puts in charge of casting his shows, but it is always spot on. Each actor and actress chosen for these roles is perfect. I’m devastated that this is the last season and that there are only 3 episodes left. But if you want an amazingly smart drama to watch, look no further because you’ve found it.
9. The Walking Dead (and Norman Reedus) While we have all struggled through some times that were slow and painful to watch, this season of TWD has been AMAZING. I am on pins and needles each week waiting to watch the latest episode and am usually sitting there with my mouth gaped open after trying to figure out what is going to happen next! As a sidenote, since Daryl is my favorite character and since Norman has been one of my favorite people since The Boondock Saints (also a great movie, watch it if you haven’t…it’s #2 on my top 10 list), I love getting to see his badassery and humanity ebb and flow with each new episode.
10. Hiatus While this one may seem strange, I have a love/hate relationship with hiatus. And even though I’m always so sad, and sometimes mad, when my shows take a break, I also cherish that time. Those are the times when I can catch up on episodes I missed. Or watch a new show that a friend recommended. Or read all the books that pile up while the TV season is going on and I have no time to read them because I’m too busy fangirling. Or maybe even take that time to step away from the computer and TV and do something outside! Life is full of possibilities during hiatus.
So that’s it. That’s what I’ve narrowed it down to. There are so many other things I’m thankful for in the pop culture universe but I don’t want your turkey to get cold. Happy Thanksgiving!
Latest posts by Deanne Cooper (see all)
- 4YE Gives Thanks: 10 Things in Pop Culture Deanne Cooper is Thankful for - November 27, 2014
- 4YE’s Fright Nights of Halloween: A Scream for Your Ears: Welcome to Night Vale - October 25, 2014
- Gone Too Soon: Why We Still Miss Firefly - September 20, 2014