They really do have the best song ever, and all other arguments are, it would appear, invalid. Much to my daughters delight but most music connoisseur’s dismay, One Direction have secured the best selling worldwide album of 2013.
Midnight Memories shifted four million copies in just six weeks, and beat off stiff competition from the likes of Eminem and Beyonce to secure the top spot on the best selling chart.
They might not be as clean cut as they used to be, but One Direction’s third album accounted for one in every eight artist albums sold internationally, meaning the British Music industry claimed the top spot for the sixth year out of seven. Yay for us Brits!
Eminem came in second, with Justin Timberlake third. Bruno Mars and Daft Punk completed the top 5. Other British artists also pulled impressive numbers, with Robbie Williams coming in at 18 for Swings Both Ways and David Bowie’s comeback album The Next Day charting at 35.
The top ten global artist albums of 2013 are listed below.
- One Direction, Midnight Memories – 4 million
2. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP2 – 3.8 million
- Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience – 3.6 million
Bruno Mars, Unorthodox Jukebox – 3.2 million
Daft Punk, Random Access Memories – 3.2 million
Katy Perry, Prism – 2.8 million
Michael Bublé, To Be Loved – 2.4 million
Imagine Dragons, Night Visions – 2.4 million
Lady Gaga, Artpop – 2.3 million
Beyoncé, Beyoncé – 2.3 million
- And The Winner Is… Strictly Final Draws A Massive 12 Million Viewers - December 21, 2015
- And Our Strictly Come Dancing Finalists Are… - December 14, 2015
- Who Will Make it to the Strictly Final? - December 13, 2015